Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: AG product lines and discontinues

  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 20th, 1999
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    With the talk of Hopscotch Hill and Angelina being disctoninued, and the Girls of Many Lands line being in the same boat, I was reminded of when the board founder (Ann) spoke to someone "high up" at American Girl. Do you remember that? I can't remember the exact words, but the lady said at times AG wondered if they had over-expanded their branding. What is amazing is that Ann spoke to her before these lines were discontinued!

    What's your opinion? Do you want AG to continue to introduce new product lines? Or would you rather they concentrate on expanding and developing the two they have left (Bitty Baby and American Girl)?

    I think this might be a fun topic to discuss--and there are no right or wrong answers, just opinions! [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member heidiabigail's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2005
    Posts
    688
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I want them to just focus on AG and Bitty Baby.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member dolllover's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 4th, 2004
    Posts
    2,583
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think AG shouldn't introduce any other new lines of dolls and should just focus on AGT, Bitty Baby, and the American Girls Collection dolls.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Queen of AG's's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 17th, 2005
    Posts
    35
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I really liked the idea of the Girls of Many Lands dolls, but since AG has discontinued those, I personally think that they should just focus on the American Girl dolls and Bitty Baby.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member rachie421's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2004
    Posts
    712
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I thought the GOMLs were cool too but I dont think they were marketed correctly. I would like to see them grab that age range though. But I think the best way to do that is to expand in some way on the AG collection. Have books with the girls older, create smaller, GOML size versions of them or just create a more collectors minded line for each doll and let the current ones remain more focused on play and education.

    So ultimately, I also think they should stick to AG/AGT and Bitty Baby. They should be putting all of their creative energy into the collections that people love them for the most, rather than sacraficing quality in those collections to create entirely new things.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member allthingsag's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 30th, 2005
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There is an expression in retailing...narrow and deep. I, too think AG should concentrate on what they have. Introducing new historical dolls or new LE dolls is great. I really don't want to see them introducing all new Mattel items and calling them AG

  7. #7
    Inactive Member kamakajr's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    251
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think AG should continue its innovations by introducing new lines. The GOML dolls are some of the most beautiful, well-made dolls I have ever seen, and the Hopscotch Hill and Angelina lines are simply adorable. They raise the bar for all other manufacturers. Even if the lines don't work out, the products show that AG is the leader of the pack when it comes to design and creativity, and this in the end, benefits all consumers.

    <font color="#051E50" size="1">[ November 12, 2005 02:01 PM: Message edited by: 4liesel ]</font>

  8. #8
    Inactive Member mayergirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2005
    Posts
    789
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm sorry hopscotch hill is being discontinued. I think they were a GREAT line, especially for that range between Bitty and AG. I don't want them to make something to replace it though. Every line besides AG and Bitty has bombed. I think they just need to stick to what they're good at. Like I said, I wish they wouldn't discontinue HSH, but if they're going to, they need to take it as a sign and stop trying with these new lines.

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner moderator's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 20th, 1999
    Posts
    952
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I also think that AG should stick with Bitty Baby and the American Girl lines (historical and contemporary). These lines have expanded *so much* in the past few years that they're probably a big effort to keep up with, anyway! [img]wink.gif[/img]

    This doesn't mean the other lines were bad, but to me it's so much more special when AG specializes in just a few things and puts all their efforts into those. It also doesn't seem to reflect well on their company (at least, in my opinion) when they keep getting rid of entire lines of products.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Pat B's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 10th, 2002
    Posts
    321
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Part of the problem with Hopscotch Hill is that the dolls and most of the accessories were not realistic enough (ie the desks). Smaller dolls ( including boys) would enable children to act out classroom scenes better. This assumes that the smaller dolls would cost less.
    The books seem to be a good way for children to deal with school issues.
    One positive thing could come out of this- more school related items for the AGOTs and historical dolls.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •